Mountains, Peaks and Lakes of Langtang Region
Langtang range, lying to the north of the Kathmandu valley is the closest approach to mountains from Kathmandu and clearly visible form the valley on a sunny and less cloudy day. The most prominent peak of range is the Langtang Lirung (7234 meters). 99th on the world’s 100 highest mountain peaks, Langtang Lirung has a very large vertical relief from the local terrain.
First surveyed by W.H. Tilman and P. Lloyd in 1949, Langtang Lirung hasn’t been climbed too often, though attempts were made since the early 60’s. It was only in 1978 that Pemba Tsering and Seishi Wada of the Japanese-Sherpa expedition who succeeded in successfully reaching the summit. Out of the 14 ascents on the mountain from 1978 to 1995, there has been 13 failed attempts.
The other prominent peaks of the range are:
- Dorje Lakpa 6,966 m (22,854 ft)
- Loenpo Gang 6,979 m (22,897 ft)
- Changbu 6,781 m (22,247 ft)
- Yansa Tsenji 6,690 m (21,950 ft)
- Kyunga Ri 6,601 m (21,657 ft)
- Dogpache 6,562 m (21,529 ft)
- Langshisha Ri 6,427 m (21,086 ft)
- Gangchenpo 6,387 m (20,955 ft)
- Morimoto 6,150 m (20,180 ft)
- Tsogaka 5,846 m (19,180 ft)
- Yala Peak 5,520 m (18,110 ft)
Dorje Lakpa, a prominent peak in Langtang range, is easily visible even from Kathmandu Valley. The Iconic pyramid shape of Dorje Lakpa is easily noticeable. Japanese expedition for the first time successfully submitted the Dorje-Lakpa via the west ridge.
Notable mountaineering facts:
- On July of 1986 a German-Nepali expedition summited the mountain from the western ridge
- Fall of 1989 saw an Italian expeditions attempt to the summit which was forced to a stop by instable snow and a potential avalanche.
- 1992 saw Carlos Buhler’s first solo and successful attempt to the summit of Dorje Lakpa
- Recently in 2001, a team from French expedition successfully submitted the peak.
Lying to west of Dorje Lakpa, Gangchempo (6387 meters) is another prominent mountain of the region. Tilman’s pass, a famous mountain pass named after Bill Tilman extends from its back. The mountain was first ascended by a Nepali expedition in 1990.
Yala peak is one of the trekking peaks in the Langtang region. It is one of the renowned trekking peaks of Nepal, specially known for the best view of Sishapangma, a mountain in Tibet. It is one of the easier trekking peaks which requires no prior mountaineering experiences.
Situated at 4380 meters, Gosaikunda is one of the most famous and scared lakes of Nepal. The whole of Gosaikunda region is supposed to have about 108 lakes. High up in the Himalayas, the Gosaikunda sits amidst the mountains. During the winter, the lake freezes up completely, it’s for that reason, the lake is famous as Frozen Lake as well. Close to the Gosaikunda lies another big lake, the Bhairav Kunda.
Belived to be created by the Lord Shiva, after driving his trident to quench his thirst after drinking poison extracted from the ocean. Trishul-dhara, a place slightly above the lake is the supposed remains of the place where Lord Shiva stuck with his trident. Trishuli river, one of the major river system of Nepal originates from that very point. Gosaikunda gets thousands of Pilgrims during the annual festival of “Janai Purnima” during July.
About an hour away from the Gosaikunda lake lies Suryakunda. Another lake with religious importance. Surrounding the Suryakunda are many pristine lakes. With a view of Ganesh himal ranges and Langtang Mountain to the north the area is absolutely magnificent.
International Airline Partner
Associate Member :
airlines Partner :